Subject: [Leica] PMC400 Color Negative
From: Alan Bearden <healey@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 12:08:50 -0800

I recently had an opportunity to photograph Monte Alban and Mitla, ruins
near Oaxaca. I am quite pleased with using the Kodak "moderate contrast"
PMC400 color negative film and wanted to suggest this film to others. It
seems quite useful when wanting to retain shadow detail in brilliantly-
illuminated scenes such as existed at the above Mexican sites.

Also, PMC400--probably due to its lower contrast--captures detail with
the resolution of the slower 200 or 100 films. The color rendition was
also excellent, giving a fine reproduction of the greenish cast of the granite
at the two sites and the stone carvings at Mitla.

Prints made without any masking seem to be quite excellent. I'd like to
hear about other experiences with this film. Having a 400 film also makes
doing interiors without changing film type possible.  The one place where
I did not find PMC400 was the best was, however, in photographing church
interiors (Santo Domingo in Oxaca) where there was a preponderence of
gold leaf--for these situations, Royal Gold 400 did a better job.

Alan Bearden