Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-topic: what b/w films should I use?
From: Michael Leitheiser <flyh2o@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 15:02:28 -0800

The inimitable and worthy Mr. Shea writes:

At 04:22 PM 2/1/98 EST, you wrote:
>I have used T Max 400 CN with some success.  It is very fine grained and
has a
>wide exposure latitude.  However, it is not as sharp as regular B&W films.
>Additionally, the processing makes a large difference with this film.  Some
>procesors know what they are doing with it and the results are quite good.
>Others muck it up and produce muddy prints.  It can be printed on color or
b&w
>paper.  The results look quite different.
>
>Tom Shea

"Not as sharp"?  What pray tell does that mean?  Not as sharp as TMX 3200?
Or APX 25?  Are you refering to resolving power in lines/mm or is there
perhaps a little confusion between grain, edge acutance and sharpness?   I
have found it as "sharp" as most 400ASA films.
Mike Leitheiser

"When the trout are lost, smash the state."
                                   Tom McGuane