Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Distortion
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 19:20:41 +0000

Earlier I wrote a long post about why RF results can look very different from same
focal length SLR results. I made an error of memory that might interest the people
who read it. I wrote (begining on line three):

> It's called 'oblique pespective distortion'

The effect is not named as above and would've been better described as 'oblique
projection distortion'.

Since Mike Johnston's term 'apparant perspective distortion' doesn't fully describe
the exaggerated difference between an SLR and an RF 21mm's on-film rendition
(they both provide apparant perspective distortion), I'll offer this for better clarity:

 'Many RF lenses render with an increased apparant perspective distortion, due to
the effect of greater oblique projection, inherent to shorter flange-back focus
designs.'

Does that explain it well enough for you Mike?

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez