Subject: [Leica] Re: E.Welch vs C.Becker - Non Contoversial Subject
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 05:25:48 EST

 At 04:03 PM 1/31/98 +0100,  Eric Welch wrote:

 > And you can't compare the R3/4...7 with the R8. The R8 is totally Leica in
 > design. Even if some parts come from elsewhere.
 << Christian Becker replied:

      This is of cause a contradiction in itself.
 I ask: Does a Japanese designed auto made from Japanese parts -
          Become an American auto if it is assembled in the U.S. ?

         Is the Minolta basic framework with refinements by Solms, made from
         International parts - assembled in Germany become a Leica R8 ?

         This has already been covered less than 6 months ago when Gerard
         Captyng explained that by International Law,  a products origin is
         determined by the percentage of the cost of time & material that is
          involved with its manufacture.

         Ergo: A  Japanese auto made in the U.S. is still Japanese and
                  A  Japanese camera made in Germany is still Japanese.

         Nothing really to be ashamed of Eric since next to Germany
         some of the best cameras are made in Japan.

         Marvin (Killer) Moss