Subject: Re: [Leica] Question: R8 and lenses without ROM
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 08:30:05 -0800

At 10:07 PM 2/1/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Until last week I believed the main information transmitted to the camera
from
>the ROM lens was the focal length of the lens or in  the case of the zoom the
>apparent focal lenght being used.
>Any ideas anyone??
>
>clifton (texworker@aol.com)

I can only comment that so far, at Keeble & Shuchat Photography in Palo
Alto CA, they have not received a 70-180 with a ROM that works. Put a Metz
flash on an R8, mount any other ROM lens, and the flash head zooms to the
proper focal length. Mount a ROM 70-180, and the flash head does nothing,
regardless of where the lens focal length is set or the flash head is set.
Nothing moves.

They are still waiting for working 70-180 ROM lenses. I have a non-ROM
70-180 as I have R7's with no plans to upgrade. Great lens.

Jim