Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 16:56:43 EST

Today I am thinking about shutters.  I understand that one of the new M's
Leica has been considering is a Leica ME with an electronic shutter.  It seems
that part of the appeal of a Leica is that if the battery in the M6 dies, the
camera still functions, except for the meter.  An electronic shutter would
change that.  On the other hand, an electronic shutter would be much more
accurate and would have a higher maximum speed and a higher synch speed.

Another possibility is a metal vertical mechanical focal plane shutter such as
is found in the Contax S2 and S2b.  Theses seem to be somewhat more accurate
than a cloth horizontal focal plane shutter.  Additionally, the maximum
shutter speed is 1/4000.

I would suppose that there will always be a need and desire for an M with a
mechanical shutter. Perhaps there would also be room for an ME also.

Tom Shea