Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters
From: Jeff Alford <alford@batnet.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 98 19:25:07 -0800

>Today I am thinking about shutters.  I understand that one of the new M's
>Leica has been considering is a Leica ME with an electronic shutter.  It
>seems
>that part of the appeal of a Leica is that if the battery in the M6 dies, the
>camera still functions, except for the meter.  An electronic shutter would
>change that.  On the other hand, an electronic shutter would be much more
>accurate and would have a higher maximum speed and a higher synch speed.
>
>Another possibility is a metal vertical mechanical focal plane shutter
>such as
>is found in the Contax S2 and S2b.  Theses seem to be somewhat more accurate
>than a cloth horizontal focal plane shutter.  Additionally, the maximum
>shutter speed is 1/4000.
>
>I would suppose that there will always be a need and desire for an M with a
>mechanical shutter. Perhaps there would also be room for an ME also.
>
>Tom Shea

Tom,

Having had many Leica cleaning seminars done at our store (Keeble &
Shuchat Photography), I can attest that the shutter in the M6 is VERY
accurate. The reason Leica has not changed the shuttter to a version with
faster sync speed or an electronic version is reliability. I have seen
M3s test to within 1/3 f/stop. That is very amazing. As to an electronic
version; how wants the battery dependancy?

Jeff Alford