Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Distortion
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:22:24 -0800

> To answer the several questions about perspective distortion: according
>to the
>books, it is an effect that is dependent on focal length and camera position
>only. However, try this practical test: cut out a circle of paper about the
>size of a basketball. From ten feet away, put it in the corner of the frame
>with a non-retrofocus lens like the Leica 35mm Summicron-M. Then do the same
>thing with a good retrofocus lens such as the Canon EF 35mm f/2. Compare the
>images. What you will see is that both lenses will distort the circle into an
>oblong, ovoid shape, but the Leica lens (in this example) will distort the
>circle slightly more. I can't explain this, and "perspective distortion" may

Perspective distortion is caused by the way an (ideal) lens images objects;
ie, plane to plane. Because of a whole lot of factors, both physiological
and psychological, we do not see or process images the same way as a lens
does, and this effect is strange to us. In an ideal lens, the only factor
governing perspective distortion is the angular distance of the
object/image from the lens axis. It has nothing to do with the type of
construction, or how far the various elements are from the film plane.
However, since in practice symmetrical wideangles of standard
(non-retrofocus) construction have little or no distortion, and retrofocus
lenses tend to have barrel distortion over most of the field (with
pincushion distortion in the corners of the field), the barrel distortion
to some degrees mitigates the perspective distortion, and causes it to be
less noticeable than in a lens with better distortion correction.

In practice, for very wide angles of view, distortion of one kind or
another is inevitable. Poorly corrected retrofocus lenses, symmetrical
wideangle lenses, fisheye lenses, panoramic rotating lens cameras and other
even more esoteric imaging systems all work; they just each produce their
own type of distortion.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com