Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Above AF
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:32:41 -0500 (EST)

I believe that it was suggested that Leica might use the AF film plane
solution, not a lens based solution. --Steve Hickel
Steve,

In any case, moving the film plane in a reflex requires complex electronics.
Not only that, but in a manual mode, a series of gears and levers would be
necessary, further adding to the bulk,  intricacy of the mechanism and the
weight.

That would be tantamount to changing the locomotion of a car from wheels to a
grasshopper mechanism that jumps the vehicle by advancing a leglike structure
and jumping. I believe only one camera uses this method now. I doubt whether
it is really a viable technology where robustness and battery economy are
required.

Bob