Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 50 mm question
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 23:22:34 +0100

>Erwin,
>
>I checked in Lager's book: Leica: An Illustrated History Vol II Lenses.
>
>He shows two different cross sections for the collapsible (SOOIC, SOOIC-M) and
>rigid (SOSTA, SOSIC/SOMNI) Summicrons (SM and M respectively) on p54 (SM)
>and p
>166-7 (M). Both seven element designs. Apparently at different times Leitz
>showed different cross sections with the rigid lens in brochures.
>
>But they ARE different. Just look at the lenses side by side.
>
>Adam

Yes, some more people referred to that book and the illustrations. I also
acknowledged the existance of both versions at the LUG some days ago. I do
have these original illustrations myself. There is now some more evidence
that the two versions exist. Question remains why Leitz never acknowledged
the change and still make no reference to the fact that two illustrations
are circulating, referring to two different versions of the same optical
design. Biggest question however is the  difference in optical quality. I
am doing a side by side test quite soon.
Erwin