Subject: Re: [Leica] Better man than I am (aka R8 Wimpy Winder saga)
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 16:10:16 -0800

At 11:29 AM 2/3/98 -0800, you wrote:
>David Freedman wrote:
>
>> Here I am chomping at the bit for the
>> full-fledged motor to be released in the
>> fall just so that I can achieve a
>> framing rate half that of my Nikon F5.

There seems to be a lot of noise about the R8 winder. It is a winder,
right? Not a motor drive? I have used winders with my R3, R4, R6, and R7's.
Actually the winders I bought for my R4's have migrated up to my R7's. I
don't believe, other than perhaps a couple of times, over the past 22
years, I have pushed the release on the winder and actually taken
photographs at the winder fps rate. I personally have no use for winder or
drive fps photography. For me, the winder provides a way of not disrupting
the flow while photographing. I can think of where I am in bracketing.
Cranking the advance lever in a difficult set-up can be disrupting. When
hand holding the camera, it allows photographing without removing the
camera from your eye. As does Tom's winder on an M camera.

So, for a lot of us, the framing rate is totally immaterial. As long as it
winds, that's all that counts.

Jim