Subject: [Leica] Leica large ball head/ table tripod
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 14:53:15 -0500

>From: "Kai Ling OH" <okl2@hdb.gov.sg>
>Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:57:00 +0800
>Subject: [Leica] LEICA BALL HEAD

>I believe some of you might have used or using the leica large ball
head. I
>would  like  to  hear  from  you  on the usage, whether able to take
medium
>format camera, the weight of the ball head, etc. thank you

- ------------------------------

I have one that works great on the Leica table tripod.  I have used an
EOS 1n with a 70-200 2.8  and a F1n and FD 300 f 4L with 2x convertor
using this combination with limited success.  But both of these have
rotating lens mounts which makes for easier adjustments and centers the
weight better.  Smaller cameras and lenses that you can align with one
hand work far easier.

I wouldn't recommend putting it on a normal tripod as it doesn't lock
to the tripod base.  In the case of the Bogen tripods, they use a
larger screw mount than the Leica ball head so you got to buy an
adapter piece to use one.  So any weight you might have saved becomes a
mute point.   The biggest gripe is that it is nearly impossible to do
exact framing quickly since loosening the ball lets it flop any which
way.  For the money, a three way pan/tilt head works much better for
me.  There are some ball heads out there that are supposed to be great,
 I just can't bring myself to spend $400 +  on a ball head when a $60
Bogen 3047 is more than adequate for my 35mm EQ and my 4x5 camera.

But I carry the table tripod/ large ball head combination on virtually
all of my major tips.  Just remember to take it apart and place both
pieces in separate parts of your bag when  going through customs or
x-ray machines.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
QuitoEcuador