Subject: [Leica] R35mm f2 ROM woes, an update and question
From: MyersPete@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 17:31:14 EST

Dear LUGnuts:

First, my deepest thanks to the many people that have posted or written me
directly about my difficulties with receiving my second flawed R35mm f2 ROM
lens.

An update and a question:

I took Ted's advice and wrote Roger Horn, President of Leica USA -and of
staying cool about it. I outlined the difficulties I have been having in
obtaining a copy of the lens without coating defects. I also expressed my
thanks to Brenda Olesin and the crew for their kindness and care in finding me
the replacment lens and testing it on the bench before it was shipped. While
they may have missed seeing the defect, I know that their hearts and effort
where in the right place in finding me an replacment lens.

My understanding from my sales person at Hunt's was that Leica had no R35mm f2
ROMS in the system and had to trade one out with a dealer in order to get me a
replacment lens. I appreciated their effort in so doing. It is frustrating
that Solms does not have a stack of them available for sale. Why they are
having a shortage is something I wonder about -linked to quality control
problems??

Obviously I have asked for a plan of action on Leica's part to find me a
replacment lens yet again - and quickly.

I must say that I am giving thought to going over to the Contax RTS system and
optics. I obviously love the Leica optics and I am mostly pleased with the R8
(the grit in the screen and the occational lock up problems take it down one
star for me). I do not fault the camera system for its image making! The image
making is  glorious when it works.

But, it makes me very concerned that the problems of the lens coatings keeps
coming up. I have heard from a fair number of LUG members that have had
similar problems lately.

Which brings me to my question; how picky is 'resonable'?????? The replacment
lens I received checked out wonderful on the bench test. But, there is an
obvious small dot on the rear element of the lens - it is about the size of a
large piece of dust. It is clearly seen in bright light. (Carefull cleaning
and inspection has shown it to be in the surface coating - like a coated piece
of dust or a spat of coating).

Obviously, I shoot pictures when there is dust on a lens. It will not show up
on the image to any great extent.

Am I being tooooooo picky to expect that the front and rear elements of a new
lens should be free of obvious spot marks or bumps????? Would you accept such
a lens?

Thanks again,

Pete Myers