Subject: Re: [Leica] When/How to Recognize Leica Multi-coating?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:59:10 -0600

At 01:19 PM 2/4/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Is any information available when Leica switched to Multi-coating  and
>on which Lenses?    For instance I remember the old Modern Photography
>test of the then new M4-P.  At that time, some lenses were MC, and some
>were not.

That is still the case today. It is a misconception to think that all
lenses need to be multicoated. Nikon, Contax, Canon and Leica all coat
lenses based on what their design team decides is best for each individual
element. Some elements need one coat, some two or three, some more. Nikon
calls it NIC (Nikon Integrated Coating) and Zeiss's T* coating is the same.
It all depends on the formula for the lens.

In fact, to put the same coating on each lens element is only going to
degrade performance.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He, who will not reason, is a bigot;
he, who cannot, is a fool;
and he, who dares not, is a slave.

William Drumond, Scottish writer  (1585-1649)