Subject: Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:19:58 -0500

I remember very well when Modern Photography (defunct) tested the then-new
f:1 Noctilux against the f:1.2 aspherical Noctilux. This was in the
mid-1970s.
While they were impressed that Leitz Canada was able to achieve f:1 without
resorting to expensive aspherics, overall they found the f:1.2 sharper at
all f-stops and much easier to handle on the camera. Less blockage of the
VF too. Better constructed and more precise mechanisms (more diaphragm
blades, etc.)
They noted that Leitz was then emphasizing high-contrast, not resolution,
in their lens designs of that era. I'd love to find a copy of that test
again - anyone out there? This was probably 1976.