Subject: [Leica] RE: Jazz club
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:47:54 -0500

I would:

Check out the clubs beforehand and meter how much light is there and
see if they can turn up the stage lights if they use a dimmer system.
I would also check out various shooting angles, see if there is
anything scattered around the stage, like extra mike stands and other
distracting junk that can be removed.   I would take a good look at the
table layout and how the waiters move around the floor for possible
traffic problems.  I would look to see if there are any problem lights
that need to be re-directed or removed or if there are some bulbs that
need to be replaced.

I would try to get a hold of a 135 f/2 or 180 f/2.8 for tight closeups.
  But it really depends on how close you can get to the performer.  I
would take shots with everything from a 21 on up.  A monopod would be
helpful  and you can use your large ball head to get the camera
vertical.  You might be able to use a tripod for a few shots if you can
find a place to work from.  Forget about using flash.  If it were me, I
would bring enough people to occupy an entire table so they can watch
your gear and save your chair.  But as others have said,  you need to
make sure the club owner is OK with your presence.  Obviously, if you
are obnoxious with your presence and blocking the waiters path around
the floor and disrupting the performers and guests, he won't be very
cooperative.

I've had great results with T-max,  My suggestion,  shoot a roll of
Fuji and Tmax at one of the clubs at a performance prior than those
you've been asked to cover.  Not only will you see which works better
with your development system, but you'll discover if there is any
problems with your choice of  ASA, shutter speeds, composition, flare
and internal reflections, lighting  etc. and you'll have a bit more
confidence once you do it for real.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador