Subject: Re: [Leica] NOCTILUX
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 20:53:05 -0600

At 02:57 PM 2/6/98 +0100, you wrote:

>Whatever salespersons say or have said, it is highly improbable that a
>'tiny loss' of resolution gives a 'significant increase' in contrast. There

Not salesperson. Leica. (There was a Leica Photography produced by Leica in
New York in the 70s). They said the design paramaters took into
consideration the use of high speed films, where resolution isn't as
critical as with slower films.

Isn't that what we have all been talking about? That every lens is a
compromise and balancing act, and that only Leica can really tell us how
and why they design a lens, and it's simply up to them how much they will
tell us. The end result, whatever the factors for the differences in lens
performance (and yes, a 50 Summicron would be designed with different
performance characteristics in mind by the designer) the Noctilux makes
amazing pictures in dark places. That's what counts. And the resounding
majority of Noctilux users I've read have convinced me this is a lens to
get. Eventually, when I don't have more important lenses to get.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.