Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Distortion
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:19:15 -0800

> still do not see critically inarguable evidence that the image is
> unchanged (via edge magnifcation/reduction) by the symmetrical lens.

Consider any ray of light passing through the nodal point of a symmetrical
lens (ie the middle of the diaphragm). Any bending of the light done by the
lens elements on the way to the nodal point will be undone by the rear lens
elements, since they are of the same shape and type of glass as the front
elements (definition of symmetry). So we can use the pinhole analogy, which
I think you agree is rectilinear.