Subject: Re: [Leica] Trimar at PMA! Hot Tip, Guys! Bring Checkbooks!
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 14:29:46 -0500

> I believe the focal lengths
>will be 35mm - 50mm - 90mm, however, but my source neglected to tell me the
>details!  The price is expected to be VERY hefty, in line with other recent
>new M lenses.

Although this is certainly an interesting and innovative idea, I can't
help but wonder how many people would be interested in a lens with a
maximum aperture of f/4.  Sure, if you're using the lens for outdoor
landscapes and shoot at small apertures anyway, it could definitely
simplify your life but only having to carry one lens rather than three.
Once you're using existing light, the lens just won't cut it.  One of the
biggest thrills about the M system is that even the meat-and-potatoes
lenses of the line such as the 35 and 50 Summicrons are f/2, which are
downright speedy by today's standards.  Most SLR zooms range from f/3.5
to f/5.6 for maximums through their zoom range,  and some
point-and-shoots top out at a ridiculous f/7 or so.  I can't help but see
a f/4 lens as a step down.  I'll keep my Summicrons, thank you very much.