Subject: Re: [Leica] Defective Lens discussion- cont.
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 14:53:27 -0500

Colin,

While part of my post was tongue in cheek, your response about the dime on
the lens sounds like a tremendous demonstration. In a serious mode, I know
fully well that each of the 'rays' in an image translate into a spot, the
size of which is determiined by the focus of the lens, and the so called
'circle of confusion'. Taken with the resolution of the film, and the lens
system that reproduces the image, there is a lot of room for something to go
awry.
I like Leica because the images are good, and even my 30 year old SL is
still chugging along; I have a Kodak Instamatic of the same vintage in my
'shelf collection', and its usability is practically nil. The SL on the
other hand, should I ever think of selling it, is probably worth more now
than when it was new. I also have lenses that are between 1 and 30 years
old. They perform superbly, and I can depend on them; I have no doubt that
the newest one will probably out live my 51 year old carcass, and the thirty
year old lenses will no doubt be around as well. Scratches and all!
To me, the higher price you pay for Leica is the inherent long term
usability. We have people with Nikons ( admittedly P&S cameras) who come in
for repairs and are told that the cost, if the parts are still available,
would be almost that of a new camera! These are cameras barely 2-3 years
old! Reminds me of the old saw- " What does a Japanese camera say-
'CRICK!'"
So much for my rambles! I really can't fault those who want a 'cosmetically'
perfect lens; any comsumer should get what they want if they are paying the
price. This applies to  those who 'collect' cameras for investment purposes;
they are an appreciative audience, though for an ultimately different
purpose.  I do know that  if they reduced the price of the 'flawed' lens, I
would jump on it. To paraphrase an old saying, "Thirty years from now, what
the heck differance will it make?!"
Regards ,

dwpost@msn.com
It's really hard to shoot yourself in the foot with a Leica!