Subject: Re: [Leica] Trimar at PMA!
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 23:11:18 +0100

>Although this is certainly an interesting and innovative idea, I can't
>help but wonder how many people would be interested in a lens with a
>maximum aperture of f/4.

While the f/2,0 aperture is the workhorse of photography since the late '30
(just as 400ISO is since the '50s) one has to wonder how often this
aperture is used or to say it more precisely is really needed.
A number of years ago Canon made an indepth study of aperture/speed
combinations and found that f/5.6 and f/8.0  and 1/60  to 1/250 were the
most used settings.
Given the fact that a modern 400 or even 800ISO film can handle many if not
most subjects and illuminance environments (sorry no other words available:
I am not a native speaker) the use of an aperture of 2.0 is quite
selective.
The idea behind the Trimar is of course quite usefull: a compact lens with
(supposedly!!) excellent image qualities at the most used apertures and
distance ranges AND three very popular focal lengths (28-35-50), making it
possibly to change in a very convenient way between focal length. As far as
I know the sequence of changing is from 28 over 50 to 35, which has a
slight learning curve, but once mastered is easy.
The wide apertures are indispensable, no argument here. But how often do
you really need a 28 at f/2,8?
This Trimar is, I presume designed for that large group of Leica users who
take pictures in somewhat less exacting circumstances and would like to
carry a light weight unit with superior mechanical and optical
characteristics and a flexible deployment.

I am inclined to think that Leica is trying to find a market for their
products beyond the traditional collectors/professional users segments. It
is to be applauded if the new team has found ways to broaden the niche the
Leica has fallen into lately. In the early days of the Leica (the '30s':
Marc take over from here :)) the camera was a peoples product inspiring a
joy and love for photography that lasts till now. What Leica needs is not a
few more professionals adding an R or M to their armory of Nikons/Canons.
What is needed is an expanding group of photo-enthousiasts who care for
inspirational products as the Leica.
Erwin
BTW: the latest issue of Wired has an add of Digital with a picture of Mr Reid.