Subject: Re: [Leica] ID a 21mm Super Angulon-R please
From: "don" <dbledsoe@micron.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 17:00:36 -0800

>>Among the goodies I acquired in a recently purchased Leica R system was a
mint condition 21mm f4 Super Angulon-R.<<  [snip] >>I'm wondering if one of
the knowledgeable LUG'ers could tell me if there are different designs of
this lens and whether or not mine is current.  I'm also wondering if it is
similar in design to the Super Angulon-M<<

The 21 f/4 Super Angulon lens was made from 1968 to 1994  Your particular
model is a 1971 vintage so would have started life as a 2 cam lens.

The 21 f/4 Super Angulon R is not similar in design to the 21/4 or 3.4 M
Super Angulon in that the R lens is a retrofocus design.  There was a 21/3.4
Super Angulon R that was the same optical design as its M counter part but
was only useable on the Leicaflex Standard, and that with a 21 brightline
finder.  The 21 f/4 Super Angulon R lens superceded the 21/3.4 R lens when
the Leicaflex SL came out.  As far as I can tell there was only one version
of the 21/4 SA-R lens and it is noted for its even illumination.

Don Bledsoe
Boise, Idaho