Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #149
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 1998 17:50:13 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 12:35 PM 2/6/98 +0100, you wrote:
>
> >So then, why is the current generation of Photojournalists with Canon?
>
> Because they are paid poorly? :-)  It's truer than you might think. In the
> U.S. journalism graduates are the lowest paid college graduates in the
> country.

My youngest daughter is about to graduate with journalism degree
(writing) and is wondering if she will ever get a job.  Even the LA
Times is firing staff and then getting the fired staff to write
freelance for a fraction of the cost.  She has heard they are paying
$125 average a story, including research.

Yet my son-in-law graduates at same time from Texas A&M as Ag engineer
and expects to start at $40,000 to 60,000.

Maybe I will live with them!
- ---
Donal Philby
San Diego