Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing Accurate
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 22:41:20 +0000

>I have a 90/2.0 summicron M and I use the 2.0 as much as I possibly can.
>However after getting my pictures developed today, I noticed that the eyes
>are not sharp, sometimes its the nose, or the hair, but not the eyes. Out
>of 36 shots I did, 14 are slightly slighly out of focus and I focused each
>one on the models right in the eyes.

I find that I have occsionally got a blurred shot with my 90/2 used wide
open. This is less so if a shutter speed set at or faster than 1/125 sec is
used.  This will reduce the risk of camera shake.  Moreover, at close
distances in the case of head and neck portraits, the DOF is *really very*
narrow.  Yes, I have focussed on the eyes and the nose is sharp in the
print. Very frustrating indeed. Any subject movement is also likely to
cause a blur.

I remember reading a post last week (I think was put up by Erwin) which
stated that a focal length of 90mm has reached the limit of focussing
accuracy when used wide open on an M6.  It would therefore be safer to use
the 90mm at f2.8 or smaller.

Fast driving needs extra discipline......!

Dan K.