Subject: [Leica] Film vs Lens Resolution - Erwin / Marvin - etal
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 16:05:39 EST

 Thank you Erwin,    If I understand you correctly, you are saying that to get
 the optimal resolution from high performance lenses like the APOs & ASPHs,
 you must also use a high performance film or that the gain is lost.

 Of course, I realize that resolution is only one factor involved with the
catch-
 all term of **sharpness** and that just an increase in contrast can cause an
 apparent sharper effect, but if that is so then going to a more contrasty
film
 would also cause an increase in apparent sharpness.  Please correct me if
 I am wrong.

 Marvin Moss
<<
 But lenses also are really in trouble to get 80 l/mm. In this comaprison
 the film easily wins. If you go for high contrast transfer for both system
 components (film and lens); the film can handle 40 to 80 l/mm and the lens
 can handle 20 to 40 lines (or to be a bit tolerant 80 l/mm). In this
 comparison both components are about equal. The best lenses just outperform
 most films and the best films just outperform most lenses.
 Are we lucky that with Leica lenses we can have the best of both worlds.

 Erwin