Subject: Re: [Leica] Which lenses with what cameras?
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 23:04:37 -0500 (EST)

Steve Hickel asked:

>Here is a table that if any of you have time would you fill in?

Steve:

Sorry but Eudora light messed up your columns and I had trouble formatting
a response. perhaps this is my ignorance

Anyway here is what I know (but I'm not the expert around these parts!).

1.) Leica, Nikon, Canon, Steinheil, Zuiko, Voightlander, whoever, all 39mm
thread lenses are the same mount. (Some early Canon might be a different
pitch but any lenses you are likely to run into should fit LTM fine)

2.) Jim Brick has a post on R cam differences. perhaps he will forward it
to you.

3.) Thread mount cameras need LTM lenses. No M. Some after market adapters
might allow SLR lenses of one sort or another to be used but without focus
cam, so this would be for wide angle use. All sorts of stuff might be
adapted to the reflex housings but that's a whole can of worms in itself...

4.) M cameras take M lenses or LTM adapters as you show. Fairly rare &
pricey 22228 adapter puts R lenses on M, but still no focus cam. Useful for
21, but you need the finder. I don't think it matters which cam version you
use because you won't be using the cams but I don't have one so ???

5.) 14127/67 puts M mounts (and LTM with additional adapter) on Leicaflex
or R camera. Regular Lenses will be extended into very close focus.
Adapters were intended for Visoflex mount lenses which were just like LTM
or M but shorter (further from camera) to allow for Visoflex reflex
housing. A practical option except for the somewhat limited range of older
lenses which have to be manually stopped down.

Hope this helps.

 Nick Hunter