Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bulk fim loading - Who & Why
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 21:09:25 -0800

At 12:41 PM 2/10/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Roy Zartarian wrote:
>
>> On  9 Feb 98 at 20:10, Leikon35@aol.com wrote:
>>    My question is to all LUGgers that load their own film from bulk: >
>>  1. Why do you load your own?
>>
>> Many times I go out knowing that I won't need an entire roll of 24 or
>> 36 exposures for the shoot at hand. Loading from a bulk roll permits
>> me to spool up exactly what I need with a minimum of waste.

I bulk loaded for many years. 1960 - 1985. It can save you money but it
really is a pain! Re-using cassettes can be a problem. The felt gets dirty
and can scratch the film. Using new cassettes adds to the cost. You need a
dust free environment for loading the film into the loader and when loading
the cassettes. You need one loader for each type of film you use. If you
don't tape the film onto the cassette spool properly, it will come off in
the camera. So if you load your own cassettes, always carry a changing bag
with you. You WILL make a mistake. You'll have the same problem as with
real film. You will have either loaded too long cassettes, or too short
cassettes, or have none loaded. It basically is film karma.

This isn't to discourage you. But I personally would not go back to it. But
everyone should do it for a while. So you can appreciate paying a little
extra for real film. ;-)

Jim