Subject: Re: [Leica] SUMMAREX 75MM F.085
From: Colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 01:10:57 -0500

ted grant wrote:

> To all you technical folks: Please & thankyou.
>
> I've just read about this lens but I'm confused as to whether it's a
> f 0.85 75 mm lens for normal use or whether it's the infrared lens that was
> developed during the war.
>
> Or are these 2 different lenses? And is there really an f 0.85 75 sitting
> out there some place in the cold cruel world waiting to be found and
> purchased, if I look hard enough?  One more. Is it worth looking for and
> roughly what kind of money would one be paying? wild guess?
>
> Final question. Is it any good? (God, what a terrible question of a Leica
> lens!)  That is not a major interest, I'd like to have it to work with if
> if I can find one.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> ted grant
> Victoria, Canada.

Ted,

I have a book called The Leica and the Leica System by Theo M. Scheerer
that has a few paragraphs and a picture of a 75mm .85 Summar.  I can't
see the serial number but the author says Leitz made it in 1934.  Two
examples of it's use are for X-Ray screen photography and Projection at
the 1936 Olympics.  I would assume only a few examples of it ever
existed.  I would also assume that the lens would have a very distinct
'personality' were you to encounter one.

Regards,

Colin