Subject: [Leica] 50mm Noctilux-M f1
From: Warrick Lawson <wal@da.saao.ac.za>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:00:56 +0200

> From: delia <louzan@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: [Leica] 50mm Noctilux-M f/1
>
> Due to multiple requests for copies, I decided to post the article in its
> entirety as a tribute
> to Bob Schwalberg and Walter Mandler.
>
> Robert
>
> FIRST LOOK  50mm NOCTILUX-M  f/1
> SHARPEST SUPERSPEED LENS YET ?
> BY BOB SCHWALBERG

LUGgers

In addition to this review, there was also a full lens test done
on the Noctilux f/1 by Modern Photography.  I used to have a copy
of a Modern Photography special edition with full tests of camers
and lenses, including the Leica's of the early and mid-70's; M5,
CL, SL and SL2.  Sadly, I don't have this edition any more.  But
I do recall that the bench test of the Noctilux caused a dilema
for the reviewers because many of the mid-aperture resolution
and contrast measurements did not reach the magazine's minimum
performance criteria.  But they still thought it was a great lens
wide-open.  (I wonder if this review is the origin of the opinion
that the Noctilux is not a useful multi-purpose 50mm.)  Does anyone
out there have this old report?

Warrick