Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bulk fim loading - Who & Why
From: Paul vanPeenen <paddler@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 07:35:41 -0800

>   My question is to all LUGgers that load their own film from bulk:
> 1. Why do you load your own?

Cheaper than pre-rolled film. My Tri-X works out to less than $2 CAN per roll

> 2. How do you do it?

With a bulk loader, of course. I don't keep it in the freezer or anything.
I go through the film way too quickly. I have dx coded reloadable cassettes
which makes them useful in the EOS1n's. I replace the cassettes every three
months or so because they see quite a bit of use.

> 3. What camera are you using?

Leica M's and Canon EOS1n's

> 4. What films are available to you in bulk?

I don't know. I only use Tri-X. Back in my college days I bought a few
hundred feet of Fuji transparency in bulk which amounted to a tremendous
savings but I don't know if that's still available.

> 5. Any other reasons to load your own?

I like the metal cans the Tri-X comes in. They're great for storing screws,
nails, paperclips, etc. I abhor the plastic tubes film comes in these days.
Yes, they can be recycled but that doesn't take into account the waste and
energy that goes into manufacturing them.

Pv

Paul vanPeenen and Liz van'terve
paddler@istar.ca