Subject: [Leica] RE: bulk loading
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:34:58 -0500

I bulk load all the film I can, which at the moment is Velvia, Astia,
Provia 100 and 400, TMX, TMY, VPS and CDU.

I'm using some really nice Konica reusable cassettes that I got for
free.  They are hard to find now though.

Cost is the major determining factor for doing it and ease of shipment
from the states to here is the other.  If money was no object, I would
buy film in normal rolls from the supplier as that guarantees no
scratches, the ends popping off if you accidently drop it on the floor
tape coming undone, possible mislabeling and mis-development by the lab
and the time invested in rolling your own.  The other problem with
using masking tape to fix the end to the spool is that if you go to a
warm location the adhesive oozes onto whatever film it makes contact so
you'll lose another shot or so off the end of each roll.  I normally
shoot the same subject at the end and start of the next roll to help
keep things in order a little easier.    I also buy normal rolls of
print film for things that I don't want to risk any possible problems
(like weddings).

Also if you have several bulkloaders and various cassettes prelabeled,
you need to keep good track of what you are putting in what to make
sure your next roll of E-6 isn't BW,  I haven't done that personally
that but we had a guy here that was always having problems.  I would
suggest that learn to identify films by the emulsion and make all 20
rolls at once and you will eliminate most of the potential for
problems.

It can be hard to convince labs to develope E-6 film if it's in a C-41
cassette no matter how clear you make the label.  I've gone to labs,
explained what I want and had people peel up the masking tape, look me
squarely in the eye and say, UH excuse me sir, this is C-41not E-6,
this will ruin our chemistry.  But then again the people at the counter
know about as much as mom does.

For what it's worth,

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio