Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Noctilux-M f1
From: Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:54:20 -0800

Warrick Lawson wrote:

> LUGgers
>
> In addition to this review, there was also a full lens test done
> on the Noctilux f/1 by Modern Photography.  I used to have a copy
> of a Modern Photography special edition with full tests of camers
> and lenses, including the Leica's of the early and mid-70's; M5,
> CL, SL and SL2.  Sadly, I don't have this edition any more.  But
> I do recall that the bench test of the Noctilux caused a dilema
> for the reviewers because many of the mid-aperture resolution
> and contrast measurements did not reach the magazine's minimum
> performance criteria.  But they still thought it was a great lens
> wide-open.  (I wonder if this review is the origin of the opinion
> that the Noctilux is not a useful multi-purpose 50mm.)  Does anyone
> out there have this old report?

From Modern Photography's '79 Photo Buying Guide:

Noctilux #2749632

Resolution
at 1:47 magnification

f/no	center		corner
	lines/mm	lines/mm

1	good/47		excellent/37
1.4	good/47		acceptable/33
2	-/47		-/33
2.8	-/37		acceptable/42
4	-/47		good/47
5.6	good/59		good/52
8	good/66		good/52
11	excellent/66	excellent/59
16	excellent/66	very good/52

Contrast
at 30 lines/mm

f/no	center		corner
	percentage	percentage

1	low/44		low/16
1.4	low/44		very low/16
2	low/46		very low/16
2.8	low/54		very low/18
4	medium/62	low/40
5.6	medium/62	high/58
8	low/66		high/60
11	low/66		high/54
16	low/66		low/42

A "-" denotes a score below Modern's verbal ratings.

According to Modern, this lens uses staggered coating, that is selective
coating depending on optical and mechanical requirements of each
element. Light falloff improves at f:2 and is better than average above
5.6.

I hope it helps,
Amilcar