Subject: Re: [Leica] 2/50 Summicron R vs. 1.4/50 Nikkor shoot out
From: Duncan Young <dunk@mincom.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:40:26 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Alex Hurst wrote:

< snip >

> Prints are now back - all processed thru the same machine at the same time.
>
> Thought you might be interested in the following subjective appraisal:

< snip >

If you are basing your comparisons on prints, produced by someone else then I
would consider your test invalid.  I have had a 5x4 enlarged to 8x10 (by a
third party) and had a very noticeable loss in detail.

By the same token if you always get your photos turned into prints, then thats
how you should test ( to see which is better for your purposes ).  If on the
other hand you shoot for big enlargments, you may see more of a difference.

I have found that one of my most frustrating problems is getting all the detail
in a small negative onto paper.  You need a realy good enarging lens, and some
way to hold the film flat etc.

    Duncan