Subject: Re: [Leica] HP Photosmart -opinions?
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:48:47 +0100

I want to thank the LUG-members (especially Robert Rose for his
comprehensive reply). It is not easy to decide what film scanner to buy... I
have studied the comparison of HP Photosmart and LS-1000 (URL posted by Gary
Todoroff), but I think the weak point in this comparison is that we don't
know the quality of the camera and lens used for the originals.
Looking at Kenneth's (not LUG-member) and Robert's scans with the HP
Photosmart, I think they are of very good quality. Purists may look at
Kenneth's son playing the trombone http://www.sna.com/smith/photos/trom3.htm
a shot made by the Summilux 50 or Summicron 90 wide open. I have nothing to
complain about this scan, and I wonder what could have been better? I have
enlarged that image many times in Photoshop, no problems. A Leica lens seems
be important in order to get a high quality scan from a 'cheaper' scanner.

I will stop rambling now, but I guess I will save $ 1.000 and go for one of
the cheaper alternatives. The best way to decide should be to bring some
negatives to the computer store and start scanning.
/Hans