Subject: Re: [Leica] Versions of M6
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:07:24 -0500

I think Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest site features the most comprehensive
list of M6 variations I've seen anywhere. Check it out. There are a few
other (mostly) cosmetic differences not listed there.
It is generally accepted that all M6's have been made at either Wetzlar or
Solms. There are a couple of differences in the way the diodes light up in
certain conditions, but the basic meter (range, angle, etc.) is always the
same.
Many say that the early M6's had electronic problems, and recommned nothing
below about 175xxxxx. On the other hand, recent M6's, over 2xxxxxx, have
seemed particularly well-made to me. Even when brand new, however, they
often need some adjustments: shutters don't sound right, shutter release
height is off, or the rangefinder patch isn't perfectly adjusted. Check out
any potential purchase carefully, new or used.