Subject: Re: [Leica] Bracketing and machine guns, OFF TOPIC
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:47:13 -0800

Peter Su wrote:.

> The point is that the pros who shoot for editoral pictures or books work
> under different conditions that you, me, or Ansel Adams. They are not
> necessarily free to just take the "best" picture and leave it at that. They
> have to cover themselves in various ways, and take many different
> compositions and exposures of the same scene to maximize how salable an
> image is. Thus, they use what seems to us to be a lot of film.

Peter,
Exactly right.  I do quite a bit of stock shooting that goes to NY
agency and quite frankly I don't always understand why they pick certain
frames and not others.  Plus if scene is good one, the variety helps the
potential client fit a layout.  All this seems like high production
factory work and--you know--it often is.  And still I get back film and
wonder why I didn't try something else.  The biggest problem I face in
shooting a lot of film is the time it takes to both edit, enter images
into data base with captions, cross references and more and then print
out and apply labels.  This last part often takes longer than the
shooting.  And if it was fun I wouldn't be posting to the LUG--I would
be working through the 75 boxes of film sitting here to be edited right
now.

donal
- --
Donal Philby