Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New M Tri lens - "Retrogressive?"
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:26:17 -0500

Erwin wrote:

> I am sure Leica  is designing at this very moment a new M body and a ne=
w R
> body and many new lenses with very exciting specs. I for one can wait a=
nd
> see and enjoy using the excellent Leica products in my hands right now =
(yes
> a M6 HM) and the fabulous quality of the optics. I pray that Mr K=F6lsc=
h will
> stop for a moment designing even better lenses. I have a problem right =
now
> getting all the quality out of them in a decent (not lab) way.
> Erwin

Erwin,

I have to agree with you. While new toys are definitely fun we have to
take time to remember that Leica has been making superlative products
that have been contributing to excellent photographs for years.
Certainly, pushing the limits of optical physics and manufacturing can
help improve our results but we should really stop and remember that
we're already dealing with close to perfection. More often than not the
adversity of using these cameras and lenses in real life will mitigate
the improvements that can only be detected on an optical bench. I have a
screw mount 35mm elmar that I use a bayonet adapter to attach to my M
cameras. This lens puts to shame most of my Canon EOS lenses. It also
holds its own quite well against my 35M Summicron and 50M Summilux. It's
an old uncoated lens. It is bitchin' good glass. How much better does it
have to get? My 2 pfenigs worth.

Carl S.