Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Noctilux-M f1
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:46:36 -0500

Leon wrote:

<<<<<Your observation that the reviewer preferred the Noctilux F1.2, with
its aspherical surfaces,  over the F1.0 pleases me as the proud owner and
frequent user  on my M5 of the former!  >>>>>>

Hi Leon,

Now you know these test really don't mean much as there is only one test!
That is the test of shooting dozens of rolls with the lens wide open!:)

To be concerned about whether the Noctilux 1 or 1.2 is better at any other
aperture than wide open is a complete waste of time. Actually to own either
one and not use them 99% of the time wide open is an awful waste of money
to purchase and an awfull waste of a lens meant to be used wide open!

I know I'm going to get jumped for the above comment, but why in heavans
name would anyone purchase the fastest lens in the world and then worry or
be concerned at what it does stopped down?  It dosn' make any sense.

I use mine as often as I can wide open! It makes the pictures look
completely different, whether B&W or colour. It sure gives me an edge over
the "flash and grab" photographers! Not always, but a whole bunch of the
time!

Just a thought from a user who never reads or cares about magazine tests.
As I have only one personal one! Does the lens make my work look different
than and give me an edge over other photographers?

And quite frankly that is the ultimate test!

ted