Subject: Re: [Leica] Universal handgrip/cable release
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:23:16 +0000

On 12 Feb 98 at 16:21, Ken Wilcox wrote:

> Friends:
>
> I received today a Universal Handgrip 14239 that I plan to use with
> my 200 and 400 Telyts on my M and R cameras. It seem to be a
> wonderful piece and makes holding the 400 much easier.
>
> The handgrip has a tube near the lens attachment point that appears
> to be a place to mount a cable release which will be needed with the
> 400. My Leica double cable release (which works great with the 200
> or 400, Viso II and M) fits nicely into this tunnel.
>
> My question. Does/did Leica make a single release with this large
> diameter top end that will fit this space. A single release would be
> handy when using the 400mm on an R camera. (otherwise I need a third
> hand as one holds the grip and the other hand focuses)

I know of only one release for the Universal Handgrip -- an
electrical release that plugs into the motor or winder.  This is the
Electric Release Switch R, 14327.  I seem to remember it cost about
$50 or $50 new, which is kind of obscene for some wires and a
microswitch, but after all it does say Leica on it, so it's probably
made from special low-dispersion optical plastic and copper.  Maybe
there's a mechanical release that fits the Universal Handgrip, but I
don't know of one.

- -Patrick