Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 Fantasies
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 00:27:45 -0500

Tom K wrote:

<<<<<Why can't those of us who prefer rangefinders enjoy the same modern
technology that you use every day?>>>>>

Hi Tom,

My M6 isn't a blast from the past as you mentioned in another post, it's an
everday tool much like you do. Accept I'm uslly working 3 or 4 cameras at
the same time, depending what I'm working on. Quite often I use three M6's
at the same time and I still can't understand why you guys want the new
bits and pieces installed in an already perfectly excellent camera.

I haven't seen anything posted yet that would make me get all hully gully
over electronic shutter, faster flash sync. (now that's one I just can't
imagine at all! Why?) But I guess if one needs it good for them. I prefer
shooting with what I see motivating me.

I've never paid any attention to looking at the G whatever they are
cameras, but they sure get alot of attention in here with all the elctronic
stuff and autofocus.  I might suggest to those who would want the M6
changed to function as a G whatever, maybe they should save there time and
just get the G whatever.

Quite frankly there isn't anything I, or any others who are champions of
keeping the M6 as it is, are going to say or do that will make any
difference one way or the other, if Leica in Solms found there was a viable
market for a whiz bang all electronic version.

If that were the case, that's their call. I would only hope that they keep
production up on the M6, certainly as mine have been worked very hard since
1985. I could use a few new ones and maybe I'll have a go at the new
version when I get one in my hands and up to my eye.

<<< Do you like your Whiz-bang R-8? Why don't you still shoot an SL?>>>>>

As you well know I have championed it since it's birth! :) And the only
reason I shoot with it and not my lovable old Leicaflexes which had motors
I could make go like a scared cat, is that I earned so much money from the
dear old machins that I could afford to buy R7's which got me enough money
to buy now R8's! :)  And motors when they are available.:)

But you know what? I wouldn't have changed to Canon or Nikon if my old
machines were the same as they were. They were "KISS" cameras and it didn't
take being a computer whiz to know how to drive them like you almost have
to be with the NIKON and CANON's of today.

As far as I'm concerened as long as Leica keeps the simple M6 on hand and
available at a reasonable price, what you guys think would be improvements,
"Well,Quite frankly I don't give a damn, Tom!" :) Or whatever Rett Butler
said to Charlotte! :)

ted