Subject: [Leica] R 80-200 4.8?
From: R.P.A.C.Savenije@AVV.RWS.minvenw.nl
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 98 12:51:38 +0100

Dear LUG-ers

After following your discussions for almost a month I would like to ask you
a question. But first let me introduce myself.

I am by far not an expert like most of you, but I just like making pictures
with my Leica.
I did get a Leica M3 from my grandfather who has professionaly been taking
pictures
with it since he bought the camera. It is one of the first M3's with no
possibility
of changing the viewfinder to another window without changing the lenses. the
set included
21mm 35mm 50mm 90mm and 135mm lenses, all dating at the same period. First of
all
I was impressed by the simplicity of the camera. No unnecessary gadgets and
just doing what
it should do. Finally I had a camera with which the quality of the pictures
was only
limmited by my capabilities. After bying a pradovit I was overwelmed by the
quality of the
Leica lenses, which each of them must be at least 35 years old!

I do travel around the world as much as possible. My camera has accompanied
me to all
the possible places, capturing the most beautifull scenes. People laugh at me
when
they see me taking pictures with a (for them) inferoir very old camera. This
changes
immediatly when they have a look during a presentation of my slides!

My next trips which I planned are going to be a month travelling through
Spain and Portugal,
and later this jear to Nepal, and the U.S.A.(Washington and what it worthwile
seeing
there (any tips?) I am not only interested in the way people live in other
countries and
different cultures but also in photographing nature. During my visit in South
Afrika I
visited different Game Parks. I did however miss sometimes the possibility of
using tele-lenses.

For this reason I bought myself a few weeks ago a Lecia R8. I did choose
again a Lecia
because the M3 never failed during all my trips and the quality of the lenses
(which
of course will have improved in the last 35 years). Together with the R8 I
bought
a 80-200 (4.0) after reading good tests of this lens which is also affordable
for me.

At this point I want to ask for your expertise. As I explained I am only an
amateur and
just take pictures. When I change the aperture of my lens the maximum
aperture which
is displayed in the viewer is only 4.8 while it is a 4.0 lens!. Contacting my
shop
they explained me (probably after calling Leica) that this is not unusual for
this lens.
Also they told me that it does not influence the measurement of the camera.
Is this true ?
And if it is could you explain to me:

- - If I change the aperture in the manual mode between 4.0 and 4.8 the display
shows in
  both cases the aperture 4.8 but also the shutter speed does not change ! So
is the
  measurement realy o.k?
- - Using the automatic mode (P) the maximum aperture in very dark situation is
4.8 accoring
  to the display. Taking the picture, is the lens closed to 4.0?  wether it
should
  be 4.8 or 4.0 ?
- - I presume the light measurment is determined by calculating the loss of
light due to a
  smaller aperture referenced to the full aperture (4.0 or 4.8?) because the
correct
  aperture is only set during the exposure. But how in my case will the
correct loss
  of light be calculated if the camea thinks that my maximum aperture is 4.8?
For
  example when I take a picture at aperture 4.8 does'nt the camera calculate
no
  loss of light because he thinks it is the maximum aperture, while in
reality it
  is already stopped down a half to 4.8 ?

Of course using a ROM in my lens would solve everything, but I always want to
be able
to explain what is happening. That is one of the reasons I appreciate the M3!

Finally I want to thank you all for sharing your expertise to all the other
members all the
time in this group. Just by reading your mail I do learn more than reading a
lot of books!

Greetings,  Richard.