Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 Fantasies
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 10:53:13 +0100

I hope really for once that we can stop all this pipe dreaming about any
new Leica.
If Barnack had done what all contributiors expect: sample in a democratic
way all suggestions, give then statistical weight and start designing he
will end up with the best contemporary example of that
democratic/commercial wishlist/design proces: the Nikon F5.
If Barnack had asked all experienced collegues and photographers what they
would like to have would any have suggested aometthing close to the
Ur-Leica. No way: the Leica is a work of a single minded genius and so be
it.
If mr Stein (designer of the M3) had asked all the users of a Leica IIIc, f
of g, would they come up with the M3. No way: again a work of genius is a
one person act.
I am sure within Leica somebody is tinkering with a new Leica: it will be
very distinct from the M6. And it will define Leica's ideas about classical
photography for the first decade of the 21 century.
As many observers have stated: most predictions are just extensions of
today's experience and therefore absolutely wrong.
I am afraid that all proposals now made for a new Leica will kill
everything that belongs to the essential core of a Leica.
An inkling of the future direction we can infer from the R8: when Leica
started designing it in 1990 (same moment as Nikon srarted the F5). the
design team was well awre of all wishlists and technical possibilities>
Nikon choose the full gadget way. leica the ergonomical back to basics way.
Let genius do its job and let we rejoyce it using the results: when time
has come.
Erwin