Subject: Re: [Leica] Handheld Limit of Noctilux
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:39:43 +0100

>I suppose it depends on what you mean by SHARP.  "Acceptable" perhaps, but
>not "sharp" is what you could expect with these speeds.  If you really
>think you get SHARP (your emphasis not mine) pictures at 1/30 with a 50 1.4
>lens, or 1/60 with an 85 1.4, then perhaps you should try to take a second
>shot with the same shutter speed on a tripod-mounted camera.  I would bet
>that the difference will be quite noticeable.
>   If you want really sharp images you need higher shutter speeds, or a
>rock-solid tripod at these slower speeds.  A Leica M's lack of mirror slap
>does provide an advantage for handholding, but not as much as you are
>suggesting here with reflex cameras.  Shooting with an M6 handheld at 1/4 s
>and getting sharp pictures? C'mon, gimme a break! Often such claims of
>sharp images handheld at low shutter speeds are not substantiated when the
>images are scrutinized with care.
>
>-GH

I fully agree. A really sharp picture (let us say that the end result is a
24x30 enlargement: 10x that is), that at close scrutinity (about 30 to 40
cm viewing distance) will show clearly defined outlines of small subject
details is impossible to get with handheld shots below 1/250. Forget about
that old rule that the reciprocal of the focal length is a good indication.
I have seen in my workshops hundreds of pictures (yes Leica persons too) of
people claiming that they had made pinsharp pictures at 1/8 that were very
unsharp according to the definition above.
On the other hand if you are lucky you will by pure chance get an amazing
sharp picture at 1/15. I myself once got a picture with the Noctilux at 1/2
taht was very good. I also made shots at 1/125 that were awfull. Bad night,
heavy drinking, nervous breakdown etc).
Erwin