Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #172
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 1:36 +0000 (PST)

Mike Johnston writes:

>  About handholding speeds, I have a kinda funny story.
>  First, I should point out to the LUG that many people PRACTICE
> handholding at
> slow speeds. H.C.-B. was said to train like an athlete--lift dumbbells,
> abstain
> from coffee, and try to get to bed early--because it helped him
> handhold down
> to 1/4th regularly.

Lifting weights helps *a lot*...especially when the weight in question is
a decent tripod.

Personally I try to keep the shutter speed up, by pushing the film if
necessary. All the claims of sharp pictures at 1/4 are all very well, but
are your customers/editors agreeing they're sharp? Are they paying *money*
for them? 'cos if they're not it's soul destroying..."I'd buy that if it
was sharp, but..." is not a nice phrase to hear.

I wonder if he meant "go to bed early" or "go to bed early, alone", the
difference - IME - is somewhat critical...

            David Morton  |  Please don't tell my mother I'm a journalist,
dmorton@journalist.co.uk  |  She thinks I have a respectable job playing
     (+44) 171 272 8908   |  the piano in a brothel.