Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 wish lists
From: Paul vanPeenen <paddler@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 18:36:17 -0800

Dennis wrote:

>I kayak and the problem I have is keeping anything dry.  Everything gets
>wet, how do you handle keeping a camera dry?
>
>My 'solution' a crummy Canon waterproof camera.

I keep everything in pelican cases with a few sacks of dessicant in each
case. The cases are a bit costly and somewhat overbuilt but they work.

They float. They're tough as nails and you can buy custom inserts, or make
your own from high density closed cell foam. They can be locked and checked
as baggage and mine are bright yellow so they're easy to spot. In a pinch,
they make a good seat or a floatation device should your ship sink.

Dampness is a given when travelling on water in a canoe or kayak but I
spent five weeks (500 miles) paddling the B.C. west coast last summer and
didn't have any problems with wet or damp gear. And this part of the world
is among some of the wettest anywhere. The average annual rainfall on the
central and northern BC coast is upwards of five metres or 200 inches.

Custom-made waterproof housings help when mounting the cameras on the canoe
or kayak to take pix in rough water and weather. Chamois leather is a must
to dab off any moisture from the cameras when they do get wet from spray or
rain. And I always put them in ziplocks with dessicant if they've been
exposed to lots of wetness.

And yes, I didnt' have any uv's on any of my lenses the whole time.

Pv

Paul vanPeenen and Liz van'terve
paddler@istar.ca