Subject: Re: [Leica] R series entry level.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:24:33 -0600

At 01:19 AM 2/16/98 +0000, you wrote:

>I was wondering about the R4S. What do people recommend as a 'way in'?

They're nice cameras, but the R4sP is better. I just bought one with a
winder in EX++ condition for $495. Try buying that much capability from
anyone else for that kind of money. Then I would suggest a 35 Summicron and
90 Summicron. The 90 you can shoot wide open with no reservation at all.
They are very sharp wide open. They are pretty cheap (you can find them for
under $600 for the 90 and $700 for the 35). You can expand from there to a
wonderful outfit.

If you already have those focal lengths with your M camera, then a 180
Elmarit would be a good lens to try with it, and maybe a 60 Macro. An older
one can be had cheap. But make sure it has the third cam. Doesn't have to
have all three, but the third cam is important to work with R3s and beyond.

>*IF* I like it, I think I'd be heading off towards a pair of R6.2 or R8
>bodies. If this is the final destination, how many cams should my lenses
>have? What's the difference between the R6 and the R6.2 and what do R6
>bodies sell for s/h?
>
>            David Morton  |  Please don't tell my mother I'm a journalist,
>dmorton@journalist.co.uk  |  She thinks I have a respectable job playing
>     (+44) 171 272 8908   |  the piano in a brothel.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My Karma ran over my Dogma..