Subject: [Leica] The Leica Locker Room
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:52:45 -0500 (EST)

Chandos Michael Brown wrote:

>I joined this list, from which I will soon resign, because I thought
>I might learn something useful about Leicas.  Instead I encounter,
>on my first day no less, the sort of locker-room, "I'll show you
>mine if you'll show me yours," that so titilates male adolescents
>and that is so repulsive a characteristic of Leica fetishism in
>particular.
>
>What's the point of this display?
>
>Jeeze, I'm going back to rec.photo.

Chandos:

You may have happened upon one of the list's less edifying threads, but
that's not all there is to this group. I've been lurking, later
occasionally posting for almost a year. Even though I've been reading and
learning about (and using) Leicas for 15 years, I've learned an incredible
amount from this group. It has also been a source of inspiration to me as
well as others (who have written as much).

With the large volume and resulting time commitment, it's always tempting
to call for an end to this or that (off-topic, wish lists, roll calls,
whatever). I've come to see over time that the meandering, "chatty" quality
of the "LUG" is  what gives it a unique personality and makes it a special
place. You can really get a feeling that you know the people and are among
friends. This comes at the price of a lot of mail, some of which will not
be of interest.

Other lists are just Q & A sessions, cold by comparison. If you think you
get more out of newsgroups, then go back.

Nick Hunter