Subject: Re: [Leica] Beginning Leica Q's
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:40:14 -0600

At 09:47 AM 2/17/98 +0100, you wrote:
>That's only true for a few professional news, science and - maybe -
>wildlife animal pictures. It's hardly true for the rest. Imagine
>Eugene Smith's or Paul Fusco's pictures with the "blocky" out-of-focus
>rendition of the 1.4/35 asph M Summilux. Horrible!

What are you talking about? The rendition of the Summilux ASPH is simply
outstanding. It's not blocky, out of focus or anything of the sort. You can
stop it down, you know. It's the best 35mm lens on the planet. Some
people's interpretation of quality is "old." Not me.

Gene Smith would have jumped on this lens immediately. Imagine shooting in
his day with a f/5.6 28mm lens! And he'd still, no doubt, use bleach and
massive dodging with a spoon and burning masks to make his superb
"chiarascuro" prints. All in a daze of lack of sleep, booze and drugs.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke