Subject: [Leica] Replace or restore M4?
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:41:34 -0700

I'm trying to get a handle on the economics of restoring an M body or
selling as-is.

What might it cost me to have an M4 (#1234020-cool serial # or what?)
refurbished? I'm wondering about the cost of a new top plate (dented),
bottom (small crack, slightly bowed out) and rewind knob (bent). I've been
getting good use from it, but mechanically, it appears to be in no danger of
wearing out soon. Condition probably rates a solid 7.5-8

I'd love to have a newish M4! If I can do the restoration and wind up with a
really nice M4 for lots less than an M6, that would be fantastic, and I have
no problems whatsoever in hauling about a minty M4 and wearing it out MYSELF
:-) A couple of years of daily carrying-about in an unpadded bag have not
had much effect, so I figure that my style of use must not age the gear
prematurely.

Also of interest is the resale value of it as-is, versus restored, and
whether there's a way to bargain my way to a cheap M6 :-)