Subject: [Leica] F4 35-70mm Zoom Update
From: Robert Rose <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:34:52 -0800

Clifton wrote:
=================================
Subject: [Leica] Re: F4 35-70mm Zoom

Bob, give me an opinion of this lens,  I noticed you mentioned it in your correspondence.  I have the R8  now with the f2.8 70-190 rom. but I am looking for a lighter zoom, I have had the other 35-70mm and did not like it.
================================

At Clifton's suggestion, here is an update on my new tool, the Vario-Elmar-R f4 35-70.  Bottom line, this is a keeper for me.  Short story:  I needed some close ups of a part that we are doing a patent search on, and the client had sent some photos of the item.  I took a hand held macro shot on Reala, scanned the negative and blew up the area I wanted on Photoshop.  One of my partners looked at the client's, then at my images and of course said, "Wow."

There are pluses and minuses here.

Using TMax 100, I put a newpaper on a wall and did test pictures at f/4 and f/8 on the Vario-Elmar and the following M lenses:  35mm Summicron-M ASPH, 50mm DR Summicron, and 90mm Elmarit-M.  This was strictly a test of "sharpness" I suppose.  I am not satisfied with my methodology, since focus was very critical, as is camera / subject parallel lines in such a test.

At 35mm, the Vario-Elmar R showed barrel distortion at close range, that was not present at all in the M.

The 50 DR did a better job at the close focus range, but the R can focus closer, and therefore gives a better picture for macro work.

But who takes pictures of newpapers on walls?  If you do, then this is not the lens for you.

I then did a comparison at infinity, using Elite.  I decided not to include the 90mm, since the 70mm setting is too different.

Under a loupe they are all comparable.  I would send them to any LUG member who asks.  I then scanned them and "blew up" a small portion.

The hands down winner was the 50mm Summicron DR!

I give high marks to the Vario-Elmar, which was close, but still second to the 35 f/2 ASPH.

I didn't notice any improvement by stopping down to f/8.

What this means is that at loupe resolution on slide film the differences were there, but you had to hunt.

The real test is using it.  So far I have been delighted with the results.  I believe the color rendition is very close to the M lenses, and the absence of flare is comparable.

Interesting note is that there are two versions for stamping the focal length numbers on the barrel.  Mine has the numbers 35 to 70 and the word MACRO in a font size equal to the distance scale.  Another sample I saw had the font much larger.  Egads, collectors take note!

Cheers,
Bob